Saturday, June 4, 2011

God calls.....

Many people may not know this but I was known in school as the "person with the best humor". And over the years of my christian life, I'd dare to say God might possibly agree. There's quite a few reasons why, but let's start with my "callings".
  My first calling (pay close attention, because this was the BEST calling) was to surrender my life to Jesus Christ, follow Him, and never be the same again. To make an EXTREMELY long story short, I was a wild girl, with an overwhelming amount of shame, hopelessness, hurt, confusion, and anger all bottled up and expressing itself in violence, drugs/alcohol and promiscuity. It was ugly, but God in His amazing grace and loving mercy, called me to Him before I could damage myself any further. I received His forgiveness and have not been the same since. I consider myself an open book so if you every want to know more of my life, please just ask. I don't feel God saved me from such things to keep it to myself. :) God is so good.
  So that was my first calling, my next one was pretty darn hilarious. Let's make another long story short, shall we?
John Christian Atkinson attended the church I started attending and although we were around the same age, we actually did not like each other, at least not right away. I thought he was a judgmental snob and he thought I was an immature hooligan (and rightfully so). And even as we got to know each other, we were "friends" but we still held to our judgements of each other. So one night during a prayer time at church, I heard something spiritual, meaning I didn't hear it with my ears, but I heard it with my heart and inner spirit. God told me I was going to marry that judgmental snob of a man John C. Atkinson (He wasn't really that bad, much love to ya babe!). The following conversation ensued (with slight exaggeration for humor purposes): Me: "Um...Lord...I know I said I'd obey you and trust my life in your hands, but you must be mistaken." God: "Nope, you're going to marry him." Me: "No, really God, you've got the wrong girl. Try the next pew, that girl grew up in church and has the same values and such, nothing like me. Plus she might actually LIKE him. Seeing as I can hardly stand the kid, I don't think it's going to work." God: "I made you for him, trust Me." Me: (Looking up to see if God was serious and seeing John walking right past me).........................................................................................ok...............................................
..........................fine."
About a year later or less we started dating. Two years later we got engaged. Four months later we got married. Ten years ( and two kids ) later we're celebrating our 10th anniversary. We were the unlikely couple, and while that calling is laughable now, it's been proven that yet again, God is so good.

   This next calling was a special one, which I never quite figured out why until recently. I was a teenager and sitting in my room reading my Bible at my desk, when God just spoke again and said "You're going to be in ministry and specifically going to be a Pastor's wife." Again, I was very hesitant. I kept thinking how in the world could I ever marry a Pastor?! I barely know how to be a christian, much less be in any kind of ministry and be the wife of a Pastor. But again, I accepted and received it and told John about it later after we had been dating a while. He said, "Well, I was called to be a Pastor." Hmmmm....
I always would wonder, why does God have to CALL me to be a Pastor's wife. My husband is going to be a Pastor so, duh, I'm going to be a Pastor's wife! But recently I have finally felt I'm actually fulfilling that calling. One because John became a senior Pastor a couple of years ago, and two because I've experienced things I thought I'd never experience while being in this position. Both good and not so good.

Well, it's no secret, that people probably never thought I would or could ever be a Pastor's wife. I didn't even think it would really happen. I felt very ill-equipped, unworthy, and just plain not good enough. But I read and reread the story of Moses and how beautifully God provided everything he needed to do what God had called him to do. I like the scripture, "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped... " Psalm 28:7.  I knew He would help me like no one else could. And He has, beautifully.

   Maybe one day I won't be so surprised at the miracles God continues to do in my life. But I'm not even sure it's surprise anymore. I guess initially it is, but truly I think it's overwhelming gratefulness. This August I'll have been best friends with my God for 14 years and I don't ever want to get to a point where I'm not grateful for everyday I get to wake up and pursue the precious callings He has given me. I know I say it a lot, but it's worth saying 70 times a day.

God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment